Not A Tutorial On Makeup Brushes: You Have Them, You Just Don't Know What They Are For?

 September 7, 2012



Photo courtesy of blushprofessional.com
Dilemma # 1: I have these many brushes (umm..got them as a gift), I use that one brush, the bushy one for blusher, and that flat, thin, one for eyeshadow. The rest, I just play with them or use them to clean my keyboard. Urgh.

Do you happen to have the same problem? You have all these brushes but don't know what's it called and what they are used for?

Read on.

Note: This is not a tutorial on make-up brushes. I know you have them already, maybe 12, 16, 24 or 30 pcs of them--but you don't know where and when to use them. So I'm here to remind you what those bushy, angled, flat, brushes are for :)


What: Fan Powder Brush

Use: For the longest time I've known, these brushes are used to sweep off any excess pigments or powder that falls off during eyeshadow application. But just recently, I've discovered what good use it can do to you--it can also be a blusher brush. Yep, you heard me right! It picks up very little color and just sets in the right amount when you sweep it across the apple of your cheeks. With a blusher brush, it picks up a whole lot of color that you have to even it out by blending it in very well. But, surprisingly--the fan brush does it better! :)





What: Blush Brush

Use: This brush usually has a rounded head, and it's use is to perfectly give a pop of color to the apples of your cheeks. Can also be used for any powder application.






What: Foundation Brush

Use: Well, the name says it all. It's designed with tightly packed bristles, usually with tapered tip for fluid application. Using a foundation brush to apply foundation gives you a smooth and flawless finish.






What: Large Concealer Brush

Use:  Precisely used for concealing larger areas of the face or body and works really well with liquid or cream products. Gone are the days that you use your fingers to hide those redness and zits, just blend your concealer well using this brush, and for sure you'll achieve a flawless look on your skin.




What: Duo Fiber Powder/Blush Brush

Use: This brush creates a diffused blush application and works really well with mineral products for natural and delicate effect. It is an alternative to your powder/blush brush, but it you plan on applying a subtle makeup look most times, this one will definitely do it's job really well. 





 What: Small Tapered Blending Brush

Use: This, among all other brushes that I have--is my "can't live without brush". Trust me, when you find out what it does, you would not want to leave the house without it!

This baby is used to blend colors onto the crease, so naturally, what you do is pick up a color with the tip of the brush, apply intense colors to the crease to add depth and dimension to the eye.

So, my chinky-eyed friends, you know what to buy next :)




What: Angled Contour Brush

Use:  Oooh, it's that buffed brush that I use to make my face look thinner. Well, it has a name. And you sure do know how it looks like but you don't know exactly what it's used for. I know some people who use this a blush brush (which is still okay), because it is commonly used for powder application.  It is angled because it mimics the angles of your cheekbones. This is good to use for highlighting, shading with a bronzer. Can be used with cream, gel, or powder to achieve a contoured/sculpted finish for a more defined and dramatic makeup.



 Dilemma # 2: I have too many eyeshadow brushes, I don't know which one to use. All of them looks the same to me :(





What: Eye Shadow Brushes

Use: Here's a sample of brushes that we usually use for the eyes. Featured here is this Sigma Eye Kit (from L - R)which contains:
> Medium Angled Shading Brush - this brush is angled, tapered and has a flat top. I usually use this to apply darker shade on the crease area but can also be used to apply highlight shades underneath the eyebrow.  

>Small Angled Brush - I use this to fill eyebrows. But can also be used to apply cream/gel liners on the upper and lower lash lines. Your choice. 

>Large Shader Brush - It's your ideal brush for applying color all over the lid. It can also be used to apply cream formulas or eyeshadow primers.

> Pencil Brush - I don't use this very often, hmmm..maybe once in a blue moon? But yeah, this pencil brush is great to use for smudging out pencil liner. 

> Tapered Blending Brush - This, among all other brushes that I have--is my "can't live without brush". Trust me, when you find out what it does, you would not want to leave the house without it!
This baby is used to blend colors onto the crease, so naturally, what you do is pick up a color with the tip of the brush, apply intense colors to the crease to add depth and dimension to the eye.

So, my chinky-eyed friends, you know what to buy next :)

 >Eyeliner Brush - Line the eyes, precisely and firmly. Need not say more.

>Eye Shading Brush- It can be used to apply loose or pressed shadows or pigments, to build intense color on the eyelid. Shade, shade, shade. That's what's it made for!



What: Spiral Eyebrow Brush                                                                                               

Use: Ideal for taming unruly hairs, the stiff bristles smooth and comb eyebrows into form. When shaping, use to brush hairs upwards and trim the excess for neatly groomed brows.zz



  What: Lip Brush

Use: Obviously, for the lips.

 
 
Aside from the above listed brushes, there are probably a couple more brushes in that brush set of yours that I don't use very often but if you'd like to know what's it used for, please feel free to ask me if you are still unsure what and how to use them. Just leave a message or a comment below and I'll answer you as soon as I can!

Bonne Nuit ladies!

Have a good sleep and stay pretty!

 


XOXO,

The Smoky Blue Palette
















.

0 comments:

Post a Comment